Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bill4000  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2022 21:57:08(UTC)
bill4000

hi all. I am not a lab analysist but am a environmental engineer. I have often consulted with analysists in the past on lab results. However, I was wondering if any analysist on this forum could elaborate on whether "dispersion staining" is needed to confirm the presence or absence of asbesiform fibres.??? My past recollection from discussion with analysist collegues, was that PLM alone can identify asbestos fibres (due to polarisation effects on the fibre). However, the dispersion staining is required to identify the type of fibre (eg chrysotile or amosite or crocilodite). Thus, the several liquids with n=1.55 etc... are used for identification. could anyone kindly confirm/elaborate regards Bill
stevedm  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2022 08:25:46(UTC)
stevedm

can't claim to be a lab analyst..but I have had the same questions over the years...

Dispersion staining is just for visual reporesentation it doesn't have an impact on the result...PLM alone is enough it identify asbestos in the sample...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
bill4000 on 10/01/2022(UTC)
bill4000  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2022 21:18:08(UTC)
bill4000

Thanks Stevedm Appreciate that. Yep thats what i am think also, although hearing from an asbestos lab analysist would be great!! regards Bill