Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
leerob  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2022 09:24:17(UTC)
leerob

Hello, I am trying to navigate the grey areas of the reporting system in relation to RIDDOR's. We recently had an incident on site when a contractor dropped part of a 4 leaf manhole lid ontop of an HV cable located at the bottom of the manhole pit. The steel leaf damaged the cable upon falling which resulted in a flash and a bang, luckily the operative had let go of the key and leaf as it was falling, there were no injuries. The substations where switched out and the damaged cable was by-passed until it was available for repair. 

Would this be deemed as reportable, would you class this as an electrical explosion or a significant risk of death?

antbruce001  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2022 10:09:38(UTC)
antbruce001

I would say this is reportable as a DO under;

"

• 4 Any explosion or fire caused by an electrical short circuit or overload (including those resulting from accidental damage to the electrical plant) which either:
    1. results in the stoppage of the plant involved for more than 24 hours; or
    2. causes a significant risk of death. "

There is no debate as to the fact there was an electrical explosion caused by a 'short circuit', so the first part of the requirement is met.

So to be reportable it then needs to met atleast 1 of the 2 sub requirements. 

So, if it would take over 24 hours to make the repair (excluding any time for ordering parts etc) then sub part 1 would be met. I assume this is the case. I would consider the 'plant' as being the cable - but some may disagree.

As to 'cause a significant risk of death' this is a bit more subjective. In this context, the cause is the explosion, not the risk of receiving a fatal 'shock'. The DO is covered elesewhere, and a shock must have been received for it to apply.