Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CarlRutkowski  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2024 16:50:56(UTC)
CarlRutkowski

Hello, today I have been asked by one of my friends about the heights of ballustrades and guardrails in Church(es).

I came accross values such as 1100mm and our favouride 950mm (in absence of any other standards).

Did you have any previous experiences working in Church/Choir areas?

Thank you in advance and stay safe.

Regards!

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2024 17:03:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/protection-from-falling-collision-and-impact-approved-document-k 

For England Approved Document K is the necessary reference.

Application of the content is not retrospective meaning the age of the church will have some bearing upon what was acceptable at time of build compared to what would need to be changed in the event of refurbishment

Captcha JCRX

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 07/03/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 07/03/2024(UTC), Kate on 07/03/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 07/03/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2024 17:03:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/protection-from-falling-collision-and-impact-approved-document-k 

For England Approved Document K is the necessary reference.

Application of the content is not retrospective meaning the age of the church will have some bearing upon what was acceptable at time of build compared to what would need to be changed in the event of refurbishment

Captcha JCRX

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 07/03/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 07/03/2024(UTC), Kate on 07/03/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 07/03/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2024 17:35:47(UTC)
Kate

But weren't many churches built many hundreds of years ago, and most of them before Building Regs even existed?

Nice Captcha!

Edited by user 07 March 2024 17:37:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2024 19:27:17(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Carl

The church' insurers will have a view on this and probably demand quinquennial building surveys.

I would be as concerned about the structural condition of the edge protection as much as its height.

antbruce001  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2024 08:30:49(UTC)
antbruce001

As an aside, but relevant one of the first recorded specific working at height legal requirements can be found in the Bible!

Under the Law given to Moses by the LORD, and recorded in Deuteronomy 22:8;

"When you build a new house, you shall make a parapet for your roof, that you may not bring the guilt of blood upon your house, if anyone should fall from it."

It is Friday :)

achrn  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2024 08:33:00(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

But weren't many churches built many hundreds of years ago, and most of them before Building Regs even existed?

Exactly.  I don't think I've ever seen a church with a balcony / mezzanine in the 'main space' (whatever that denomination calls it) that meets modern standards.  Some of them are only slightly above knee height - they've been designed so that people sitting in the pews can see over the rail.  Steeply raked balconies and low edge protection is not uncommon.

(I do note that I haven't been in a church designed this century, though).

I'd reiterate talk to the insurer, though the last church insurer I dealt with was not great - they wanted the church to adopt a hot works policy (fair enough) and offered a document that was supposedly their church-specific guidance and it talked about isolating production processes and removing flammable / explosive gas cylinders.  Looked very cribbed from a general industrial one to me...    

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
peter gotch on 08/03/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2024 09:42:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

"Paddy's Wigwam" aka Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral is a very modernistic design especially in comparison to the Anglican cathedral commenced some sixty years prior and completed some eleven years later.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2024 09:42:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

"Paddy's Wigwam" aka Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral is a very modernistic design especially in comparison to the Anglican cathedral commenced some sixty years prior and completed some eleven years later.

knotty  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2024 12:56:48(UTC)
knotty

Retro-fitting of glass barriers is very effective (if you can get the faculty sorted for CofE) to create a safe and visible space. 

I have seen other churches barrier off the the front couple of rows, creating a safe space in proximity to a low balustrade.

Whilst the insurer (or Ecclesiastical's wealth of information on their website) will shed some light, I would focus more on visitor safety than the legal position under building regs. 

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 08 March 2024 13:26:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: knotty Go to Quoted Post
I would focus more on visitor safety than the legal position under building regs. 

Now I am curious. What references would you use for visitor safety?

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2024 13:26:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: knotty Go to Quoted Post
I would focus more on visitor safety than the legal position under building regs. 

knotty  
#13 Posted : 08 March 2024 16:21:16(UTC)
knotty

I would take into consideration unfamiliarity with the building, additional needs of visitors (eg unsteadiness, mental state - eg funerals, overly merry eg at Christmas midnight communion), potential lack of care/respect for fixtures and fittings, use of the space and leaning over to, eg "get a better look at the bride".

Treat it as a quasi-public space (albeit with some potential to restrict access) and the risks are much higher - especially taking into account the events that would cause a greater than usual number of visitors to be in attendance.

If you want to rely on a reference document, the good old "purple book" is a good start.

knotty  
#14 Posted : 08 March 2024 16:25:48(UTC)
knotty

on a "Friday" note, every Christmas nativity service the Sunday School leaders submit a risk assessment to persuade me to launch the angels off the balcony on a zip wire to announce the birth of Jesus.

They have yet to gain my permission.

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 08 March 2024 16:35:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

As with TLA's need to be cautious with names - I am going to presume you mean the Purple Guide

https://www.thepurpleguide.co.uk/ 

rather than the Purple Book which dependent upon industry and context can have many different meanings

https://www.ppf.co.uk/purple-book

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/therapeutic-biologics-applications-bla/purple-book-lists-licensed-biological-products-reference-product-exclusivity-and-biosimilarity-or

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/shop-publications/physical-signs-child-sexual-abuse-evidence-based-review

or for my background the UN Globally Harmonised System "Purple Book"

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 08 March 2024 16:35:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

As with TLA's need to be cautious with names - I am going to presume you mean the Purple Guide

https://www.thepurpleguide.co.uk/ 

rather than the Purple Book which dependent upon industry and context can have many different meanings

https://www.ppf.co.uk/purple-book

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/therapeutic-biologics-applications-bla/purple-book-lists-licensed-biological-products-reference-product-exclusivity-and-biosimilarity-or

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/shop-publications/physical-signs-child-sexual-abuse-evidence-based-review

or for my background the UN Globally Harmonised System "Purple Book"

peter gotch  
#17 Posted : 08 March 2024 17:28:26(UTC)
peter gotch

I am not sure that the Purple Guide is that helpful as it was drafted mostly for things happening outdoors.

I had thought about referencing what has been published by what used to be the Visitor Safety in the Countryside Group for free, but like the Purple Guide what has been published by the successor body to VSCG is something you have to buy.

In terms of the judgments on the marginally different Occupier's Liability Acts that apply to England & Wales or Scotland, these are discussed here:

Guide to public safety on flood and coastal risk management sites - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

But, again this looks at scenarios out in the open air, as does ALL the case law.

So, I think in terms of the height of edge protection you are back to the Approved Document already mentioned by Roundtuit but with regard to the "grandfather rights" that apply to older buildings AND noting that in historic structures (more so if Listed) even if doing a refurbishment, if all the intricate railings that might be in an old church were of a height lower than would now be expected, it is unlikely that any Planning Department would be supportive of any proposal that would suddenly result in a mishmash of different height railings.

All about that delicate balance between public safety and an approach that is sympathetic to the architectural heritage, and there are other solutions such as have been mentioned on this thread.