Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eck  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2018 12:17:04(UTC)
Eck

Hi

Please help !!!

Background information: two standard height portacabins, one on top of the other.

At present there is a steel staircase that has 12 risers and in my opinion is to steep. 

There is a small landing at the top of the staircase before you enter the protacabin.

I cannot find any information on the internet that specifies the number of stairs required.

I contacted a company who deals in portacabins and the number of external stairs for a standard portacabin is 19 so before I go back to the Company Directors I need facts.

Thanks

Eric

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2018 12:31:42(UTC)
Ian Bell2

The Engineering Equipment and Materials Users Association (EEMUA) guide 105 Factory stairways, ladders and handrails is one design standard. There is also a British Standard if you Google you should find it. Probably BS14122. Risers are generally 165mm Going 275mm Pitch 31° to 38° from the horizontal Building Regs Document K also covers steps etc
Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2018 14:43:25(UTC)
Hsquared14

Couldn't have put it better myself  Ian - exactly what I was about to write until I saw you had already said it!!  :)

Xavier123  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2018 09:37:18(UTC)
Xavier123

And whilst it's aimed at internal steps, this guidance from the UK Slips Group is immensely useful for helping to quantify levels of risk from reduced goings on steps.

http://www.ukslipresistance.org.uk/files/UKSRG_safe_stairs_april_16.pdf

Its also a very useful document generally.