Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
webley01  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2018 15:13:39(UTC)
webley01

Our company have just raised a concern as to whether we should pay the 1st aid / fire marshall members a weekly allowance. We currently pay a weekly sum for each category they have a responsibilty for but it has been suggested that we should only pay for a limited quanity to be "officals" and the rest recieve nothing, just act as a stand in should they be required.

Other than the moral reasons for the payments to be made are there any legal reasons that they should be paid?

I would also envisage that if they were not to be paid then the "i dont get paid for that" attitude would soon raise its ugly head and when we do need to encourage new persons to take on these roles there would be a willingness not to apply.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2018 16:11:00(UTC)
Kate

There is no legal reason to pay.

The topic of who pays and who doesn't and how much and the pros and cos of paying and not paying and how else to incentivise people to become first aiders has been covered extensively in the forum in the past, so a search should turn up lots of stuff on this.

webley01  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2018 16:16:51(UTC)
webley01

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

There is no legal reason to pay.

The topic of who pays and who doesn't and how much and the pros and cos of paying and not paying and how else to incentivise people to become first aiders has been covered extensively in the forum in the past, so a search should turn up lots of stuff on this.

[Appreciate your reply, i did have a search and unfortunatly nothing came up hence my message. i will have a futher look and again thank you.]
Kate  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2018 16:18:26(UTC)
Kate

The search facility here isn't the easiest to use!

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2018 16:33:50(UTC)
Hsquared14

I agree with Kate - there is no legal reason to pay people and many (or is that most companies) don't make any sort of payment at all. 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2018 17:49:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Feel free to take away the money.. just don't complain when at renewal time people have lost interest and you don't have enough volunteers to satisfy the regulations

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2018 17:49:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Feel free to take away the money.. just don't complain when at renewal time people have lost interest and you don't have enough volunteers to satisfy the regulations

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 20 March 2018 20:45:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 20 March 2018 20:45:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

achrn  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2018 08:10:12(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: webley01 Go to Quoted Post

Other than the moral reasons for the payments to be made are there any legal reasons that they should be paid?

We don't pay first aiders or fire marshals anything extra.

What moral reasons are there for paying?

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
watcher on 22/03/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#11 Posted : 21 March 2018 08:32:50(UTC)
Charlie Brown

The last company I worked for had been paying £500 pa to the H&S Reps and £250 to the fire marshals and tried to revoke that. Suddenly there were no takers.

The payments were re-introduced because of this and amazingly, everyone wanted to be a H&S rep or fire marshal again.

It seems then that if you start down that path, be prepared to continue along it.

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 21/03/2018(UTC)
Messey  
#12 Posted : 21 March 2018 19:07:22(UTC)
Messey

We have a ridiculous policy where:

All first aiders get an additional day's leave (not cash) across the firm

Fire Wardens get nothing - except in one particular building where local managers again agreed an additional day off per annum

I would avoid pay (or extra holiday) unless a) you are desparate for volunteers and b), you link the reward to performance. For example, attendance at a routine annual refresher fire safety session. No attendance in say 18 months, you lose the entitlement 

Charlie Brown  
#13 Posted : 21 March 2018 23:16:45(UTC)
Charlie Brown

In our case the first aiders were not paid, the H&S reps had to complete a daily deopt task assigned in the depot safety diary and the fire wardens had to do weekly bell checks and 6 monthly drills. The Depot Manager had to sign off the diary at the end of each month and show how they addressed any issues raised, diaries were checked by us during depot visits/observations and money was deducted if not all tasks were completed. The diaries and fire registers were also included as part of the 6 monthly safety audits. The system actually worked quite well and in my view it was worth the money.

Originally Posted by: Messey Go to Quoted Post

We have a ridiculous policy where:

All first aiders get an additional day's leave (not cash) across the firm

Fire Wardens get nothing - except in one particular building where local managers again agreed an additional day off per annum

I would avoid pay (or extra holiday) unless a) you are desparate for volunteers and b), you link the reward to performance. For example, attendance at a routine annual refresher fire safety session. No attendance in say 18 months, you lose the entitlement 

lorna  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2018 07:59:57(UTC)
lorna

We paid a small retainer to First Aiders but I've just found out that several hadn't attended any incidents in the last 2 years so I'm campaigning to have it removed. 

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 22 March 2018 08:37:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: lorna Go to Quoted Post

We paid a small retainer to First Aiders but I've just found out that several hadn't attended any incidents in the last 2 years so I'm campaigning to have it removed. 

That is one of the problems with ensuring there are "sufficient" First Aiders to cover for absence and site layout.

Did your analysis also look at the location of these non-attendees in relation to recorded incidents? Bit silly to run someone all the way across site when there is a First-Aider in the next office / on the adjacent work bench.

Promotions or new duties also impact the original devised cover plan resulting in perceived "non-partcipants" - I regularly struggled to ensure we had at least two trained First Aiders per shift as employees switched to vacancies on other shifts.

Personally I have always seen First Aiders like insurance - something you pay for but hope never to use.

Is it the case that you are fortunate to have a low locallised incident rate?

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 22 March 2018 08:37:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

That is one of the problems with ensuring there are "sufficient" First Aiders to cover for absence and site layout.

Did your analysis also look at the location of these non-attendees in relation to recorded incidents? Bit silly to run someone all the way across site when there is a First-Aider in the next office / on the adjacent work bench.

Promotions or new duties also impact the original devised cover plan resulting in perceived "non-partcipants" - I regularly struggled to ensure we had at least two trained First Aiders per shift as employees switched to vacancies on other shifts.

Personally I have always seen First Aiders like insurance - something you pay for but hope never to use.

Is it the case that you are fortunate to have a low locallised incident rate?

ShaunBaker91  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2018 12:05:57(UTC)
ShaunBaker91

Alot of companies make the payment as an incentive for employees to become interested and its a way of continued development if someone is seen not to be conducting there duties then the pay is taken away from them, this way, in the event of an incident, roles and responsibilities are more likely to be conducted in the correct manner as employees want to be seen to be conducting their duties to maintain their pay.

The issue with not paying the fund for first-aid and fire marshals is that you may find it hard to recruit people to go on the course as its extra responsibilities for the same pay as others without the responsibility.

Roundtuit  
#18 Posted : 22 March 2018 15:05:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: ShaunBaker91 Go to Quoted Post

Alot of companies make the payment as an incentive for employees to become interested and its a way of continued development if someone is seen not to be conducting there duties then the pay is taken away from them, this way, in the event of an incident, roles and responsibilities are more likely to be conducted in the correct manner as employees want to be seen to be conducting their duties to maintain their pay.

You administer First Aid to a casualty so in the utopian workplace where zero harm actually happens how do you measure duty being conducted?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
webstar on 22/03/2018(UTC), watcher on 22/03/2018(UTC), webstar on 22/03/2018(UTC), watcher on 22/03/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 22 March 2018 15:05:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

You administer First Aid to a casualty so in the utopian workplace where zero harm actually happens how do you measure duty being conducted?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
webstar on 22/03/2018(UTC), watcher on 22/03/2018(UTC), webstar on 22/03/2018(UTC), watcher on 22/03/2018(UTC)
watcher  
#20 Posted : 22 March 2018 16:04:01(UTC)
watcher

The issue with not paying the fund for first-aid and fire marshals is that you may find it hard to recruit people to go on the course as its extra responsibilities for the same pay as others without the responsibility.

I didn't understand any of this.  Are you saying that if a first aider is not paid, then they won't carry out first aid to the required standard?  Or that if no-one has an accident, or needs a plaster, then payment is withheld?

boblewis  
#21 Posted : 22 March 2018 16:21:42(UTC)
boblewis

In my chemical industry and Construction days First Aiders and Fire Team were paid, but it was dependent on regular, monthly, attendance at training provided by the company in work time.  Fire Marshals were never paid.  It was recognised on the basis of specific skills NOT aditional duties

paul reynolds  
#22 Posted : 22 March 2018 16:55:39(UTC)
paul reynolds

I have just re-newed my FAW cert, 3 days out of the office and lunch paid for, what more do people need as an incentive than to receive training that can be used at home in addition to the work place.......

On the fip side my wife works for a local authority and when asking for volunteers to undertake 1st aid training, the good lady was the only person to offer, the rest it seems feel that it is just another thing their employer wants out of them.

Regards

PaulR 

lorna  
#23 Posted : 23 March 2018 09:37:00(UTC)
lorna

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Yes, I know where all the accidents occur & several of those who don't/refuse to attend are in areas of higher incident rates/higher risk. Fortunately, other First Aiders step in. I don't see why we should pay (albeit a small amount) to somebody who 'can't be bothered' to treat an injured coleague/student, check their First Aid kits, turn up to training but they get very bothered when the little amount doesn't turn up in their pay packet.

I see no problem with rewarding those who do - as the incentive clearly doesn't make a difference.

Roundtuit  
#24 Posted : 23 March 2018 10:27:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Sorry Lorna - read your campaign as to strip out the payment not the individual

At the end of the day such payment schemes require the First Aider to be certified BUT it is not an automatic right that an employer arranges and pays for refresher training of any individual

Using a merit system you can choose to let certificates lapse so that training expense can be directed appropriately, all too often it is an automatic action to just renew soon to expire certificates without an evaluation discussion with the individual e.g. identifying they are due to retire 6 months after renewal.

Roundtuit  
#25 Posted : 23 March 2018 10:27:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Sorry Lorna - read your campaign as to strip out the payment not the individual

At the end of the day such payment schemes require the First Aider to be certified BUT it is not an automatic right that an employer arranges and pays for refresher training of any individual

Using a merit system you can choose to let certificates lapse so that training expense can be directed appropriately, all too often it is an automatic action to just renew soon to expire certificates without an evaluation discussion with the individual e.g. identifying they are due to retire 6 months after renewal.

achrn  
#26 Posted : 23 March 2018 13:22:36(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: paul reynolds Go to Quoted Post

I have just re-newed my FAW cert, 3 days out of the office and lunch paid for, what more do people need as an incentive than to receive training that can be used at home in addition to the work place.......

On the fip side my wife works for a local authority and when asking for volunteers to undertake 1st aid training, the good lady was the only person to offer, the rest it seems feel that it is just another thing their employer wants out of them.

It does seem to vary by workplace.  I actually have people asking to be first aider and I decline them because we already have more than we need - an office of 130 people, all just sat at desks, and I have six first aiders (most FAW, though one is only EFAW).  We make no payment to people for being a first aider, the general view (among the first aiders) is that they welcome having a useful life-skill paid  for by the company.

It would be intersting to know what makes one company have more volunteers than they need, and another company have to beg / bribe to get the numbers they need.

nic168  
#27 Posted : 27 March 2018 10:05:04(UTC)
nic168

achrn, I have just moved into an office based post- 150 staff- no problems with volunteers to do First aid or AED, but Fire Wardens is proving to be a can of worms.

The reluctant Fire wardens tell me it is about responsibility, but surely that argument would apply to first aid provision as well?

A Kurdziel  
#28 Posted : 27 March 2018 10:30:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: nic168 Go to Quoted Post

achrn, I have just moved into an office based post- 150 staff- no problems with volunteers to do First aid or AED, but Fire Wardens is proving to be a can of worms.

The reluctant Fire wardens tell me it is about responsibility, but surely that argument would apply to first aid provision as well?

What do they mean by ‘responsibility’?

Has someone been frightening them by saying that if they don’t do their job right they will be held accountable and sent to prison? Don’t laugh; I have heard comments like this from external trainers, often ex-fire fighters who seem to think that their job is to put the Fear of God into people.

The only responsibility that fire wardens have is:

• When the fire alarm goes off to get themselves out to the assembly point and tell everybody else to do the same
  • To make sure that everybody stays at the assembly point until the fire alarm is over
  • To confirm with fire service or Incident Control Officer that as far as they know the building is clear or that some people may have stayed behind for whatever reasons
  • To tell people to go back into he building once the emergency has passed.

They cannot be held responsible for:

• The fire braking out
  • Fighting the fire
  • People deciding to stay put
  • Not noticing someone deciding to nip back into the building to get their favourite coat

A lot of organisations, particularly the pure office set ups, do not have designated fire wardens. Instead everybody has fire warden training and if there is fire alarm the first person to the fire point puts on the hi-viz jacket and picks up the megaphone and becomes the fire warden.

achrn  
#29 Posted : 27 March 2018 12:38:45(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: nic168 Go to Quoted Post

Personally, I would have expected more concerns about responsibility from first airders than fire wardens.  We don't have problems getting fire warden volunteers, though I don't have as big a surfeit of them (probably the training is less useful in real life outside the office).

We have previously had debate about fire wardens fighting fires, and some years ago I got some resistance when I declared that it was not part of fire wardens duties to fight fires.  That was mainly from some managers in our smaller offices, and basically boiled down to questioning what was the point in paying for fire training if the fire wardens weren't going to actually do anything (this being eg an office comprising ten people in a single open-plan room - fire warden duties are far from onerous in such a situation).  I have some sympathy with that view, but my interpretation would be more towards reducing the training than adding hazardous duties.

nic168  
#30 Posted : 03 April 2018 11:51:52(UTC)
nic168

A Kurdziel, achrn, thank you for your input, another perspective is always useful, I am wondering if something along the lines you ahve suggested may be the problem maybe they've heard stories of things going bad..

This is a new posistion for me ( two weeks in) -  this is a small one so some ways of doing things and thinking are a bit alien to me.

The Fire Marshalls I have spoken with are generally concerned that they don't know what to do or why and if it all goes wrong they will be blamed. all they do is escort and account, fire fighting is not encouraged. As this is a modern office complex and well maintained I feel the risk of it all going pear shaped is low, but they are concerned so I am looking to provide some in-house confidence boosting,any suggestions welcome.

I will also be reviewing the FMP incase there is something lurking.

A Kurdziel  
#31 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:33:05(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What your guys need is some mentoring (I think that is the term). Explain to them that

1. they won’t get into trouble if things go wrong
  2. they can only be expected to do what they are trained to do
  3. They need reassurance that the organisation as a whole can cope with an emergency and this need to be fed back to them for example after a drill or false alarm.
  4. As the organisation is small I would suggest that rather than having a set of fire marshals,  you train as many people as possible so that they all understand what they have to do and why.

nic168  
#32 Posted : 05 April 2018 14:33:01(UTC)
nic168

I concur, the advice I was given was a "bit of cossetting" I am currently looking for the FSMP and putting some "cheerful" fire safety slides togther.

Stuart Smiles  
#33 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:20:04(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

somebody who 'can't be bothered' to treat an injured coleague/student, check their First Aid kits, turn up to training but they get very bothered when the little amount doesn't turn up in their pay packet.

I see no problem with rewarding those who do - as the incentive clearly doesn't make a difference.

I have also seen the problem with people who would  attend and those who would take time to attend to first aid requests, and also those who taking people to hospital and those - not in my car...

some may not want to do the activites, use the opportunity to reward others instead. 

personally, the training/supervisory role should be sufficient, but also recognise that if you don't pay for it, you don't value it arguement getting rolled out.

i think it's a manager/supervisor thing that all should go through such programs and then get others appointed as well to spread the love, however you're always going to need a manager/representative to check the checker. it's most important that the boxes near the activity are being done, as they are the ones that get used, not the ones in the comfy office.

also if there's stuff in all the cars, there is supplimental stuff just in case thigs do run out, and on hand in the evnt of a crash or at home over the weekend. 

ShaunBaker91  
#34 Posted : 29 May 2018 09:38:27(UTC)
ShaunBaker91

Originally Posted by: watcher Go to Quoted Post

I didn't understand any of this.  Are you saying that if a first aider is not paid, then they won't carry out first aid to the required standard?  Or that if no-one has an accident, or needs a plaster, then payment is withheld?

No Watcher, at my current workplace there are monthly first aid meetings where discussions are held on first-aid this is to keep knowledge up-to-date and relevant, my current workplace aim for a zero accident atmosphere, we have the occasional minor incident mainly same level trips. As long as first-aiders attend the monthly meetings then they continue to comply with duty and continue to be paid.

As for 'Are you saying that if a first aider is not paid, then they won't carry out first aid to the required standard?' No i was saying there could be a reduction in interest to become a first aider as the payment is an incentive for some, not all. and yes if a person became a first aider due to receiving additional payment then that payment was taken away then a few persons may feel that it is not worth being a first aider any longer, this happened in my previous workplace were the directors offered an additional £20 a month for first aiders and when the employees completed there course they were added to a first aid matrix and then refused payment 90% of the 12 who had become first aiders all refused to conduct first aid duties without additional payment and we were back at stage one.

I think the directors felt they had complied with the First aid Regs by have sufficient numbers of staff trained within first aid and in fairness they had complied.

Edited by user 29 May 2018 09:44:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked ShaunBaker91 for this useful post.
webstar on 29/05/2018(UTC)