Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2003 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood
A client has requested a copy of the report for an accident that occurred whilst we were working for him (although not on his premises), which turned into a 3-day RIDDOR.

I wouldn't have had any problems previously, but after the recent Data Protection discussions (and the new reporting books that don't leave details on view for others) I'm now wondering how much I can tell him before putting us (and/or the IP) in an awkward(?) position.

Is this a real issue, am I mis-understanding something (perhaps them being our company's "employer" solves the problem?), or have I just got the wrong end of the stick?! (it wouldn't be the first time!).

Any comments welcome!

Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2003 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Steve,

there is no reason why you cannot give your client a version that has sanitised out the personal details - after all, the client cannot reasonably argue they need that info (wehat purpose would it serve?).

They are probably more interested in why it happened, not to whom. It is a reasonable request in my mind although I noted you said it didn't happen on their patch, so you might want to find out why they want to know.

There is often a mistaken fear to admit accidents to clients as we feel it might demonstrate our failure to apply safe systems - not the case. What the client is more interested in is not the fact that it happened, but why, and what has been done since to prevent it recurring.